- Monthly salary of $3000 – $5000 USD per month
- Work remotely from anywhere, with flexible working hours*
- Share options, paid leave, and other benefits
- Join a fast-paced, product lead start-up
If you’re excited about solving problems, building things, and making a quality product that will be used by some big companies, Alooba might be the right fit for you. Each person in our small team makes a big impact with everything they do and is seen as a critical part of the company.
Alooba is a skills assessment platform primarily focusing on analytics, data science & data literacy. Our customers use us to better understand the abilities of their job candidates and their existing people. We help businesses focus on the things that matter and remove those that don’t. The result? A fairer, cheaper, faster, and more accurate hiring process that focuses on the skills needed for the job.
Alooba has been operating with a lean team to create the world’s first data & analytics skills assessment platform. We have managed to secure a variety of customers, including some very large enterprises, and are currently looking to prepare ourselves for our next growth stage.
We currently have a small team of remote software engineers all of which are considered ‘full-stack’ in the sense that we expect anyone to be able to do whatever it takes to deliver the features and changes they’re working on. However, we do consider each person’s strengths when thinking about what they’ll be working on. So engineers that specialize in frontend will primarily focus on frontend changes, engineers that specialize in DevOps will primarily focus on architectural problems, etc.
We are currently looking for a strong Mid-Senior Software Engineer to help bring our product to the next level, with a major overhaul of the system architecture, using a service-oriented approach, and expanding our feature set.
You will work directly with the CTO, founder, and a small team of developers to build out our assessment platform to be an enterprise-grade web application to serve our small but growing user-base spread across the world.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- You will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining the application and supporting services.
- Take ownership of features and functionality and see it through from conceptualization to productionization.
- Design and develop highly scalable, and maintainable code.
- Design and develop system database schemas and RESTful API interfaces.
- Thoroughly test new functionalities and existing systems.
- Manage infrastructure as code and utilize CI/CD pipelines.
- Quickly react to issues in the existing application.
At Alooba we believe in using the best tool for the job, so we’re open to using whatever is needed, however, there should be a specific case to do so. For simplicity and consistency, we predominantly use a specific set, and if other languages, systems, or tools are needed, a case should be presented for their use.
The core set of technologies used at Alooba are
- PHP Laravel/Lumen for the main backend application and microservices.
- PostgreSQL for the main database.
- Single page React application for the frontend written in TypeScript.
- Docker to manage the containerization of all parts of the application.
- The infrastructure is deployed on AWS and is managed as infrastructure-as-code (AWS CDK) scripts that are also written in TypeScript.
Remote work working hours
Working remotely means you can literally work from anywhere in the world with no daily commute and flexible working hours. One of the most challenging parts of having people working from all over the world is dealing with the different time zones. Currently, because our team is still relatively small we want to make sure that we have at least 1 hour per day where everyone is online for meetings, etc. We have this 1 core hour overlap at 19:00 – 20:00 AEST (GMT+10). Outside of that, we would allow you to manage your own times as long as it adds up to around 40 hours per week.
At Alooba we’re not concerned with your specific experience. We value demonstrable skills instead. Most of these skills would be much easier for you to demonstrate with experience in the specific areas, but we don’t care if it’s work experience or just something you have picked up while playing around with it yourself on the weekends.
You should be able to demonstrate your knowledge in building well-structured systems and are keen to work in the fast-paced startup environment with a drive to do whatever it takes to make it happen.
When assessing and interviewing we focus more on general skills rather than specific languages and technologies.
We’re looking for people with:
- A can-do attitude.
- Attention to detail.
- A passion for working at a start-up.
- Ability to understand and interpret user needs.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented Programming principles and patterns.
- Solid understanding of Relational Databases and SQL.
- Strong communication skills.
Things that we may also help you succeed in this role but are not completely necessary:
- Working knowledge of PHP with Laravel/Lumen.
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL.
- A good understanding of internet security best practices.
- Ability to build RESTful APIs and integrate with 3rd party APIs.
- Ability to work with Docker and CI/CD pipelines.
- Knowledge of AWS services and the ability to manage them.
- Demonstrably Frontend web development knowledge using React.js with Redux.
Salary & Financial Benefits
Alooba is a no-bullshit company, and we believe in transparency and fairness. As such we have very transparent salary and performance indicators. Based on your assessment and interview process we will classify your skill level into one of our brackets with predefined salary ranges.
Junior Software Engineer: US$2600+ per month.
Software Engineer: US$3000+ per month.
Senior Software Engineer: US$4000+ per month.
We want everyone working at Alooba to have a vested interest in the success of the company, and therefore all roles include generous share options to ensure when we succeed, we all succeed together.
Alooba will give you 30 days of paid vacation leave per year which can be used however you like, as well as up to 10 days of paid sick/carer’s leave per year, and 5 days of paid learning leave per year.
Alooba runs regular internal Hackathons roughly every two months, with sizeable cash prizes.
We focus on objective measurable skills and traits at all stages of our hiring process. Leveraging our own product in all parts of our hiring process will allow you to see the product that you will be working on in action, and will give us a good picture of your skill across a variety of areas that we believe are all indicators of being a good fit for Alooba.
1. Skills assessment
As soon as you apply for the job we will send you an email with a link to take our skills assessment using the Alooba platform. This will allow us to get a good understanding of your skills, and will also provide you with immediate feedback on how well you did and areas that may need improvement.
2. Alignment interview
If you are able to demonstrate that you have a decent grasp of the skills required for the role through our skills assessment, we will invite you to an interview. This will allow you to get a better understanding of what Alooba is, how we work, and our expectations of you, as well as give you an opportunity to ask anything else you may want to know to ensure that Alooba will be a good fit for you.
3. Practical assignment
After providing you with everything you need to know to be confident that you want to make working at Alooba your next career move, we want to see your ability to actually build something. Our practical assessment is broken down into two parts, the assignment, and a follow-up discussion. The assignment will involve; writing code, writing SQL queries, and thinking about system architecture problems.
If you are able to demonstrate your practical skills, we will give you an offer based on our standard salary bands depending on where we see you fit on the scale of Junior, Mid, Senior, or Lead.
You must sign in to apply for this position.