Our mission is to transform international supply chains to be more resilient by helping logistics companies realize the full potential of their data. We cater to both shipping lines and cargo airlines. This covers 90% of the world trade volume that travels via ocean and 35% of world trade value that travels via air. We use proprietary machine learning algorithms and real-time external market data (such as economic indices, marine weather, satellite-based data, etc) to predict how much cargo will be shipped when it will arrive and deliver actionable insights.
We are excited to be a fast-growing team of software engineers, data scientists and industry experts. Based out of Singapore, we’ve been building together since 2018, and are backed by some of the leading investors including Wavemaker Partners, Entrepreneur First, SGInnovate and Investigate VC.
About the role:
Portcast has already been used by global freight forwarding companies, manufacturers and cargo airlines. Our customers trust us to deliver fast, reliable and secure predictions to unleash greater profitability and realise the true value of their logistics data. We want to continue earning their trust, while also scaling and delivering new products to serve their needs.
As our Senior Full Stack Engineer, you will work closely with our Product team to develop new products, scale existing ones and manage deployments and architecture.
What You’ll Do:
• Design, build and maintain APIs, services and systems and debug production issues across multiple levels of the stack.
• Collaborate closely with our Business, Product and Data Science teams to understand and solve customer pain points at scale.
• Design, Develop, Implement and Deploy enterprise level, high availability web application platforms, with support from the design team at Portcast
• Create a technology infrastructure that functions well at scale. You will design and improve the system architecture
• Keep up to date on the latest software development technologies and methodologies to help ensure the Portcast remains technically at the forefront of its field
What We’re Looking For:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience in the field.
• Work Experience: Minimum 5+ years of experience in a technical role designing, developing and releasing technical solutions.
• 1st principals thinker: You are good at problem solving. You break complex problems into smaller logical pieces. You come up with multiple innovative solutions and then logically select the best course. Your decisions are backed by sound reasoning and you exhibit good judgment.
• System Architecture: You understand how parts of a system fit together and have a strong background in building scalable products or systems. You are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces/data sources and possess meticulous attention to detail. You are quick to generate ideas and give suggestions on how to improve the tech stack and feature developments.
• Team Player: You have experience working in a diverse, dynamic and cross-cultural team. This role is an opportunity to drive engineering excellence within the team and participate in key architectural discussions. You are a hands-on goal-orientated engineer who works according to milestones and software guidelines, following agile principles.
• Empathetic Communicator: You can communicate nuanced ideas clearly, from real-time remote brainstorming to explaining a technical decision in writing. You may be opinionated, but in disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and can compromise when needed.
• Tech Stack: Ideally you are proficient with Python-based backend programming, web frameworks like Flask, Amazon Web Services. You are able to design RESTful APIs and are aware of best practices. Experience with Docker, Git, Elasticsearch, Spark, CI/CD is a plus. However if you have worked on other tech stacks in the past and are confident on picking up a new tech stack, please go ahead and apply.
• Preferred but not necessary: You’ve been an early engineering hire at a startup who has built a technical product from scratch up to scale. We’d love to hear your learnings from doing that.
What’s in it for you:
• Remote work – we fully embraced the remote-first culture.
• Interdisciplinary team – Our team comes from different parts of the world. Currently our team members are from Singapore, India, China, Ukraine, Vietnam, Turkey, Portugal and Tunisia. We believe diversity enables innovation.
• Tech-first team – you’ll work with like-minded individuals who share a passion for solving difficult problems using technology. The engineering team is at the core of what we do.
• Accelerated growth – compress the learning curve in a couple of years by owning the web app from day one as your own baby. We are building our company to be the next B2B market leader in predictive global supply chains and you’ll be a major part of our story.
• Rewarding work – with a lean structure you’ll make an immediate positive impact on the business and see the results of your work.