AECOM has excellent career opportunities for a highly talented and experienced Construction Health and Safety Specialist to support a USAID-funded engineering services project to be based in Vietnam. The Dioxin Remediation at Bien Hoa Airbase Area Project (“the Project”) is one of the highest priority USG activities in Vietnam and is aimed at addressing the Agent Orange legacy from the U.S.-Vietnam War. The Specialist will serve as the expert in site safety monitoring in conformance with the approved Site-Wide Health and Safety Plan (HASP), cleanup standards, personal protective equipment (PPE), and technology. The Construction Health and Safety Specialist lead and manage health and safety compliance planning and monitoring. The Construction Health and Safety Specialist will be based in Bien Hoa and report to the Chief of Party. This position will report to AECOM’s West Region-Federal Business Line out of Omaha, NE, USA.
Working with AECOM’s local team and global experts, the Construction Health and Safety Specialist will lead the planning and monitoring of health and safety compliance for multiple projects at the Bien Hoa Airbase. The Construction Health and Safety Specialist will manage monitoring of the health and safety compliance program, supporting USAID in their oversight of several civil and environmental remediation projects including the treatment of dioxin-contaminated soils. He/she will also support capacity building efforts in health and safety compliance with U.S. and Government of Vietnam requirements.
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunities for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Review the Site-Wide Health and Safety Plan (HASP) and identify areas requiring update and/or revision, develop technical memo describing required updates
- Develop and implement compliance monitoring program in accordance with the Site-Wide HASP and project-specific Safety and Health Programs;
- Review and provide comment on HASPs submitted by site contractors and subcontractors;
- Conduct site orientation training, Site-Wide HASP and Project-specific Supplemental Health and Safety Plan (SHASP) review, and daily tailgate safety meetings;
- Ensure that Project Contractor personnel meet training and medical surveillance requirements;
- Maintain Health and Safety training records for the Project.
- Conduct training as new activities and/or hazards are introduced and updated;
- Review and communicate site hazards and establish safety control measures;
- Monitor and evaluate safety and health performance of Project Contractor operations, document compliance and provide regular reports to Chief of Party;
- Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly safety and health findings to the A&E Bien Hoa Contractor;
- Enforce and monitor the PPE requirements in the Site-Wide HASP;
- Enforce and monitor the decontamination procedures established in the Site-Wide HASP;
- Report safety violations or safety and health concerns promptly to contractor representatives and the Chief of Party, recommend follow-up actions.
- Monitor correction of unsafe work conditions and/or unsafe work practices through resolution;
- Report and investigate accidents and incidents and develop report in coordination with AECOM project leadership
- Support and advise USAID as needed to evaluate and resolve safety and health issues.
- Oversee and manage local staff in health and safety compliance monitoring including appropriate documentation and tracking of risks and non-compliance issues through resolution
- Support the technical team in the development of engineering deliverables including, plans, studies, procurement packages and operations and maintenance plans to ensure compliance with program objectives and requirements.
- Maintain an adequate inventory of safety equipment and supplies;
About AECOM’s Environment Business Line
Join AECOM to be part of an expert global team who is connected through a well-developed, worldwide, internal technical practice network through which you can learn from and brainstorm with the best in the world. AECOM is an industry-leading, world class environmental firm, and we want you to succeed within it. We respect and encourage your own pathway to excellence via our Freedom to Grow initiative.
AECOM is known for our award-winning technical excellence, leading-edge science and innovative project delivery. We provide sustainable solutions for some of the world’s most challenging issues. Our global clients and their projects are diverse and interesting. They span market sectors and geographies and require innovative technical solutions to solve wide-ranging environmental problems within diverse community profiles.
AECOM’s Sustainable Legacies program describes our approach to the environment, social equity and governance (ESG.) We embed sustainability throughout our business and help clients embed sustainable practices into their work. We help clients reduce their impact on the environment, achieve compliance and reduce risks.
- BA/BS and 8 years of experience as a Health and Safety Officer on construction projects, developing, implementing, and monitoring construction safety programs to include site controls, worker training and PPE, and safe work practices.
- 5 years of professional experience with hazardous material handling as health and safety officer.
- Must have or must complete the following trainings no later than 28 days upon the NTP issuance:
- 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (Hazwoper) training or equivalent
- 40-Hour U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) EM385-1-1 training or equivalent
- 30-Hour U.S Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Construction Safety and Health Training or equivalent
- Experience in data correlation and analysis for reporting and mitigating job hazards
- Strong attention to detail and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment
- Demonstrated progressive experience in managing support staff in Health and Safety compliance, data collection and resolution of issues;
- Ability to work and live internationally to support project;
- Ability to collaborate with remote teams online, proficiency in MS Suite, SharePoint (or similar collaboration tools) and remote communications applications such as Teams, Zoom, etc.;
- Demonstrated high level organizational, communication, leadership, problem solving, and time management skills;
- Ability to pass all necessary screening requirements, including successful background check, substance abuse test, and medical clearance.
- Experience providing oversight for local subcontractors on international USG projects;
- Experience working on environmental remediation projects
- Experience working with U.S. regulatory agencies and/ or foreign government regulatory agencies
- Experience with construction and operation of thermal treatment systems;
- Experience in the management of USAID or other donor funded programs;
- Previous experience working internationally on USAID programs in South East Asia/ Vietnam;
- Familiarity with USAID procedures and protocols, reporting and organizational structure.
- Will receive expatriate allowances per the Department of State
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients. We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business. We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career. When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts – planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers – leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let’s get started. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Safety / Health
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Strategic Business Unit West
Country United States of America
Position Status Full Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 276177BR
Additional Locations VN – Ho Chi Minh City – 5th Floor HBT Tower
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
You must sign in to apply for this position.